Friday, September 05, 2008

American Idol - Kansas City 08-29 Concert Review

So my wife is 9 months pregnant due the following Monday and we end up taking my Niece and Nephew to The Sprint Center to see the American Idol 2008 Tour. This is obviously a big stop as David Cook is a local.

I watched the American Idol show this season, but never would have thought that I would have ended up going to actually see one of these concerts.

The top 10 contestants all go out on the tour and perform individual and group songs. Because fo the strong group this year they had contestants 3-10 do 3 songs each and David Arculeta did 4 and David Cook did 5.

So my biggest concern of the night was to make sure I had a good parking spot close by and to be prepared in case my wife went into labor. So fortunately in the 2 1/2 hour set that was done we survived without incident and made it home.

So Chikezie came out first and did a few numbers followed by Romiele, both were ok like on the show. Then Michael Johns came out and got everyone going. He played some Queen and did a great job. Kristy Lee Cook followed up looking nice these days in her tight pants and low cut top, or high cut that is. She sang some country tunes and the Proud to be an American song. She put on a good performance.

Carly Smithson came out and did some of the numbers she did on TV followed by Brooke White who did her Let It Be as well as Coldplay's Yellow. Jason, where's the weed, Castro came out and did Somewhere Over the Rainbow with his ukelele and a couple other tunes. Not bad, but not great. then Syesha Mercado did a couple of songs that were nice.

David Archuleta did some tunes, but not his new hit single Crush. I'm surprised they didn't try to get that one in for some sales. He had the little girls all screaming and actually sang pretty good.

The night was almost over, but it was David Cook that most were there to see. He came out in a KC Chiefs jersey and jammed out some tunes that he did on the show. He played a cool version of Hero, from Foo Fighters, dedicating it to his brother Adam. He also did Time of My Life and Billy Jean as well as an Aerosmith tune. There was one other, but I can't remember.

It was actually a pretty performance from all the Idols. The place was packed and the people went crazy all night long. A fun time for something I never thought I would do.

It wasn't until the next day at 4pm that my wife called me from the shopping mall to tell me that her water broke and she was on her way home. 2 1/2 hours later our son was born. A pretty good weekend I would say.

No comments: