Sunday, July 20, 2008

Foo Fighters - Kemper Arena 07-19-2008 Concert Review

The Foo Fighters played the Kemper Arena to a good size crowd, but not nearly the size of the crowd in London last week. Still after cancelling the Red Rocks shows because of Dave Grohl being sick, I was happy to see that he was on his way to recovery. Last night

This is only the second time I've seen the Foo Fighters play live. Last year they opened up for The Police at Dodger stadium and put on a fantastic set, but it was short and didn't have the full affect of what I saw last night. After seeing that amazing performance, I keep thinking to myself, why have I never gone to see them before. Fourteen years and most of those I lived in California, I had plenty of opportunities and never did see them. Still last night was amazing and I will certainly see them again.

I had told a friend of mine that I thought I was too old to be going to a Foo Fighters concert and standing on the floor in GA. He laughed and said that Dave Grohl is the same age as you, if he's not too old to play, you're not too old to be there.

So I went and stood about 25 feet back from the stage and it was fantastic. The sound that close was loud, but not bad. Supergrass opened up and put on a good performance. I was looking forward to the Foos so I really wanted them to get off the stage.

Dave Grohl came out on fire and finished off the show that way as well. The guy has so much enery and he really is rough on his vocal chords, I'm suprised they haven't worn out more on him. From the start with Let It Die and into The Pretender the whole band was on fire. Pat Smear would join them from time to time and then depart for a bit and come back out. Times like These was amazing as well as Learning to Fly. They did a fantastic version of Young Man Blues, which The Who jammed out on Live at Leeds.


Taylor had an amazing jam in the middle of Stacked Actors, it went on an on and was awesome all the way through.

The band later played an acoustic set out on a stage at the opposite end of the arena. We all on the floor made our way over to hear them jam out some good stuff. Dave was very talkative through the whole thing and and one point was calling some dude with a yellow shirt and two beers in his hands the Bumble Bee girl from the No Rain video Blind Mellon did. He told he'd meet up with him and go to the titty bar after the show. Later he invited some other kis he splashed with water as well. He was just having fun.

The acoustic set was great, they played Skin & Bones, My Hero, Everlong and a few others. Taylor even sang one of the songs.

They finished off Everlong on the main stage and jammed out a few other tunes, All My Life and Monkey Wrench before taking a break. After the break the encore was awesome. Starting off with a nice version of Big Me and jamming out the rest of the night with The One, Generator and finishing it off with Best of You.

Fantastic performance overall. There was so much energy flowing through the band and the fans were great all night. If you get a chance to catch them on this tour I would highly recommend it. The were awesome!

They also have a great website at http://www.foofighters.com/ it even has a community page and chat sessions. You can find links to live recordings and some video as well. It's worth checking out for sure.

SetList:

Let It Die
The Pretender
Times Like These
Learn To Fly
Long Road To Ruin
Young Man Blues
Breakout
No Way Back
Stacked Actors
Cheer Up, Boys

acoustic set

Skin And Bones
My Hero
Marigold
Cold Day In The Sun
But, Honestly
Everlong

electric

end of Everlong
All My Life
Monkey Wrench

encore

Big Me
The One
Generator
Best Of You

No comments: