Monday, July 28, 2008

Counting Crows - iTunes Live from Soho - Review


Counting Crows recently release an iTunes exclusive live performance Live from Soho. This is an 11 song set, not sure if it's the whole set or just selected for iTunes, but they certainly picked a good mix of tunes to play on this one. Not only a few from the new cd, but also some of the classics like, Richard Manuel is Dead, Angels of the Silence, Long December and Rain King.

There are sevel officially release live: New Amsterdam - Live at Heineken Music Hall February 6, 2003, Across A Wire: Live in New York. There are also some good quality bootleg recordings such as 2007-07-01 Open Air Festival in St. Gallen Switzerland and 2007-10-19 Blender Theater New York. I know there are other really good ones, but these are a few I have found. I've heard that there will be official live recordings from the tour being released like the Rat Dog, Allman Brothers and many others do. If that's true, it will be nice for the fans.

Overall the Soho Recording is a good one. The mix of songs is good, the versions are nice as well. Adam tells little stories about some of the songs as well in between playing. It's a nice intimate sounding concert. The almost 10 minute version of Rain King is a good way to finish it off as well. Even if Rain King is played every night, I still love it.

I don't have a lot more on the date of the recording. I didn't read the desription on iTunes, I pretty much just dowloaded as soon as I saw it. Still I would put this on the list of things to pick up for sure.

Track List:

Blues Run the Game
Richard Manuel Is Dead
Angels of the Silence
A Long December
Washington Square
On Almost Any Sunday Morning
When I Dream of Michelangelo
You Can't Count On Me
Le ballet d'or
On a Tuesday Morning in Amsterdam Long Ago
Rain King

No comments: