Saturday, January 24, 2009

Oscar Predictions

So the Oscars will air on February 22 at 8pm EST on ABC. This year Hugh Jackman will be the host and there are a lot of interesting choices for movies and actors. So here are my predictions and we will see if I get anything right:

Best Supporting Actress: Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Best Movie: Slumdog Millionaire

So these are my predeictions for this year. I know the Academy seems to think differently than me, so I could be way off. If Heath Ledger didn't die and have such a good performance, I would probably pick Robert Downey Jr. for his role in Tropic Thunder.

Mickey Rourke to me was hands down the best actor listed of the five. Sure Brad Pitt did a good job in Benjamin Button, but really it was more about the effects and makeup that played a bigger role. Sean Penn was ok, but honestly Rourke played his role right on the money and should win the award.

As far as director and movies go, Slumdog Millionaire and Danny Boyle should win. Boyle did an amazing job with the story and really showed the predjudice of people in different income classes in India. The acting and the story were brilliant. It too me should walk away with the award.

So let's see how the predictions go. Biggest surprise was that Clint Eastwood didn't get a nod for his role as Walt in Gran Torino.

No comments: