Monday, June 09, 2008

Coldplay - Viva La Vida - CD Review

Coldplay's new cd Viva La Vida comes out next week Tuesday, June 17th and is one of the most highly anticipated releases of the summer according to many different publications. Once thing that Coldplay did do to spark some interest was to give the first single "Violet Hill" away free on their website. From there if you pre-ordered the cd from iTunes you also were able to download the title track "Viva La Vida" as well. So you pretty much could hear the first 2 of 10 tracks a month before the cd came out. I'm sure that others have a pre-sale download as well because I think there were 4 tracks floating around on the internet in the past couple weeks.
After having a first listen, I have to say it's a pretty good cd. I personally think they should have tried to put out 12-14 tracks on it, 10 seems never to be enough. You have 70 minutes of space and yet you are only filling up 45-50 minutes of it. Think Green and fill up the cds that will one day be filling up our landfills.
Life in Technicolor leads it off as an intro mainly. It's an instrumental that could have been done away with as far as I'm concerned. I do like Coldplay and enjoy hearing new music, but an instrumental track doesn't set the mood for me, usually gets jumped right over. Good thing we aren't still listening to cassette tapes.
Cemetaries of London on throught sets the stage of the cd. The songs are relatively mellow, with some upbeat parts. Chris Martin has a nice soothing voice to listen to. Hard to overal compare this cd to anything else. Some of the songs have more of a U2 type beat to them, which isn't a bad thing by any means. "Viva La Vida" is a pretty cool track. I know it's getting loads of radio play these days, but it's probably one of the better songs on the cd. "Violet Hill" is a bit like something from the Beatles. That was the one they gave away free.
Overall, I do like the cd, just feel they could have done a little more to it for the fans. I know recording and all that is tough work, I just think I had set some high expectations of the band this round. It's worth picking up a copy of this one for sure, you won't be dissappointed, you just might want more like me.

Song List:

1. Life In Technicolor
2. Cemeteries Of London
3. Lost!
4. 42
5. Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love
6. Yes
7. Viva La Vida
8. Violet Hill
9. Strawberry Swing
10. Death And All His Friends

No comments: